Many people mistakenly consider mephedrone to be a non-addictive soft drug, as a result of which it has gained great popularity, especially among young people. Pathological craving for it occurs with 1-2 receptions. A pleasant narcotic effect for a short period of time is overshadowed by the rapidly emerging tolerance and a host of other unpleasant symptoms and effects on the body.
What is mephedrone
This is a synthetic drug derived from cathinone. It has a pronounced stimulating, empathic and stimulating effect. In terms of its narcotic effects, mephedrone is close to cocaine, amphetamine and ecstasy. Chemical Name: 4-Methylephedrone or 4-Methyl Metcathinone. It was first discovered by the police in 2007.
Slang drug names
On the slang of consumers, mephedrone has many names to mask use and sale. The main informal names:
- ice (smoking form);
- bath salts;
Composition and chemical formula
In its pure form, mephedrone is an odorless and colorless powder or crystals. His usual color is white, light yellow, or dirty light. Mef is marketed in the form of crystals, capsules, powder or tablets. It is often found in mixtures of other drugs or contains impurities itself, such as acetaminophen, caffeine, ketamine, amphetamine or cocaine.
Mephedrone with color and smell increases the risk of unwanted symptoms due to its contamination with unknown substances. The chemical formula of crystallus is: C11H15NO.
How to use mef
The method depends on the form in which the drug is presented. The main options for use:
- inhalation through the nose (powder);
- oral use (ingestion of a tablet or capsule, dissolution in a liquid);
The dose of mephedrone depends on the method of administration and the desired effect, with the exception of the developed tolerance, in which the increase in the amount is uncontrolled by the consumer. Approximate doses of meph when taken orally:
- 15-45 mg – minimal (threshold);
- 50-100 mg – easy;
- 100-200 mg – average;
- 200-300 mg – strong;
- от 300 mg and above is heavy.
The approximate dosage of meph with intranasal (nasal) use:
- 5-15 mg – minimum (threshold);
- 15-20 mg – light;
- 25-80 mg – medium;
- over 80 mg – heavy.
Cases of drug use have been recorded intravaginally or rectally due to its ability to be absorbed into the body through any mucous membranes. With rectal administration, the dosage ranges from 75-250 mg. The more active substance mephedrone enters the body, the higher tolerance is produced.
With intravenous administration, the minimum dosage (according to consumer reviews) is 50-100 mg, the upper threshold depends on the severity of the dependence.
How does mephedrone work
It affects the mechanisms of regulation of neurotransmitters:
Taking the drug many times increases the level of neurotransmitters, mainly serotonin. The level of dopamine during intravenous injection rises to 500%, and serotonin to 950%, reaching peak levels after 40 and 20 minutes, returning to normal after 2 hours.
With the systematic use of mephedrone, the body adapts to an increased concentration of neurotransmitters, including changes that affect the work of all vital systems of the body. With the termination of the use of meph, disturbances in the functioning of almost the entire organism occur due to a decrease in the level of production of neurotransmitters without stimulation, disturbances in the functioning of almost all organ systems occur, and emotional collapse appears.
Meph effect and signs of use
A positive effect on the central nervous system is manifested:
- a significant increase in mood;
- a state of euphoria, bliss;
- a vision of the world in positive colors;
- stimulation of physical and mental functions;
- increased sociability and desire to communicate with people;
- a sense of openness, intimacy, manifestations of empathy;
- desire to help others.
Reception of mephedrone, in addition to pleasant effects, is accompanied by not very comfortable, and sometimes dangerous manifestations. Side effects when consumed:
- altered consciousness;
- disturbances in thermoregulation;
- irritating sensations on the skin;
- heart palpitations;
- increased sweating;
- significant drop in appetite.
A systematic reception and increase in dosage will certainly affect health, physical and mental health.
Meph negative effect (increases with increasing dose):
- decrease in short-term memory;
- desire for re-admission;
- bruxism (jaw compression);
- pain, swelling and nose, throat bleeding;
- fast uncontrolled eye movements;
- muscle cramps;
- eccentric behavior;
- serotonin intoxication;
- in rare cases, vasoconstriction, characterized by a significant decrease in the lumen of arteries and other blood vessels.
Taking drugs is accompanied by a number of symptoms. Many of them are characteristic of most types of narcotic drugs, but each form of dependence has its own manifestations. Typical signs of regular use of mephedrone:
- increased sweating;
- depressive and lethargic state;
- facial redness;
- exhaustion, especially pronounced in rapid weight loss with regular use;
- high blood pressure;
- dilated pupils;
- panic attacks;
- constant thirst;
- dry mouth;
- decreased attention span;
- frequent nosebleeds;
- memory impairment;
- uncontrolled running of the eyes;
- lack of appetite;
- muscle cramps;
- a specific, unpleasant odor of sweat and urine (the most striking distinguishing sign that persists for several days after administration);
- gnashing of teeth;
- skin hematomas.
Signs of a single, not systematic intake are external manifestations of the narcotic effect, such as:
- euphoric state;
- desire to actively communicate;
- significant surge of energy.
Negative signs of random, single use of the drug are mainly expressed in the manifestation of the side symptoms that accompany the use of the drug.
How long does the effect last?
With oral use of meph, the narcotic effect begins within 15-40 minutes (faster on an empty stomach) and lasts 2-4 hours on average. When the drug is inhaled, the action lasts for 1-2 minutes after ingestion, reaches its peak in half an hour. The effect lasts for 45-120 minutes from the moment of inhalation. With intravenous injections, the goal is achieved within one minute, the result lasts 1-2 hours.
How to remove mef from the body
To alleviate the condition after taking mephedrone, as well as in preparation for taking drug tests, it is necessary to help the body in removing this substance from the body. The most effective, but very expensive way is to carry out drug and / or hardware detoxification in a hospital. But this method of ridding the body of drugs may not always be available, so you can help the body in removing mephedrone at home.
In biological fluids with systematic administration, mef is detected within 5-7 days from the last use, and mephedrone can be detected in body tissues for several months due to its ability to accumulate.
The main methods of removing meph from the body:
- Complete cessation of drug use.
- Forced diuresis by drinking a large amount of pure still water followed by diuretics. This method accelerates the cleansing of the body from all kinds of toxins and harmful substances. The volume of the daily fluid rate depends on the weight of the person and is in the range of 2.5-3.5 liters of water.
- Exclusion from the diet of coffee, alcohol, spicy, fatty, fried and pickled dishes, honey. It is necessary to reduce the intake of sugar and salt.
- Enrich your daily diet with foods that are high in unsaturated acids, such as pumpkin seeds, sunflowers, flax seeds, red fish, and walnuts. They will help restore vitality, improve the condition of the skin and hair, overall well-being and restore the digestive tract.
- Soups and cereals, sour-milk products and milk, fresh vegetables, berries and fruits and juices from them must be present in daily nutrition.
- Moderate physical activity, which accelerates metabolism, remove harmful substances through sweat. The intensity of training should be gradually increased, taking into account the state of health.
- In the absence of contraindications, the sauna and bath will significantly accelerate the excretion of mephedrone from the body.
- The use of herbal infusions and decoctions of medicinal plants that contribute to the elimination of harmful substances.
Consequences of taking meph
Negative feelings after taking appear even after a single drug use. With increasing dosage, as well as the length of use, the symptoms will only intensify. Cancellation syndrome after taking mephedrone lasts an average of 14-30 days. The main stages of the scavenger:
- 1-3 days. There is no particular desire to use the drug. Well-being is acceptable.
- 4-6 day. The substance was excreted from body fluids. A feeling of anxiety, a depressed state, begins to appear. The body craves a new dose.
- 5-14 days. Anxiety and longing increase, after 2 weeks after the last dose, the desire to take mephedrone reaches a peak. Obsessive thoughts about drug use cover everything. Psychosomatic manifestations appear: tremors, joint pain, a markedly rapid heartbeat, trembling throughout the body, severe muscle cramps, regular bouts of vomiting and nausea.
- 14-15 days. Symptoms of the otodnik are alleviated: general health begins to recover, consciousness becomes more clear, the acute thirst for using mephedrone is noticeably reduced.
- 15-30 days. The need for a drug is gradually disappearing. Thinking is restored, an adequate assessment, and the symptoms of an otodnik are remembered with horror.
Consequences of use
When stimulating the body with mephedrone, all vital systems operate in an emergency mode, at the limit. A systematic reception, and even more so constant marathons (continuous drug use from a few days to several weeks), do not allow the body to recover. The consequences are affected by the age of the addict, his state of health, the total length of use, the amount of substance. Markedly aggravates the consequences of co-administration with other drugs. There are problems both on the physical and on the mental level. The main consequences of using mephedrone:
- chronic depression in moderate or severe form;
- outbreaks of aggression, irritability;
- paranoia, delirium;
- hepatitis, cirrhosis;
- hyperthermia leading to cerebral edema;
- blood poisoning;
- gangrene of limbs;
- impaired thinking and short-term memory;
- malignant tumors;
- heart attack;
- death from overdose.
Mental dependence on this drug occurs in most cases with 1-2 doses. In rare cases, the consumer is able to independently abandon its use. Dependence on mephedrone can be divided into several stages:
- Rare drug use in a circle of friends, in a depressed state or in a club. In most cases, the transition to the next stage occurs after 1-3 doses. When you stop taking a strong psychological breakdown occurs, characterized by psychosis, suicidal thoughts, outbreaks of aggression, irritability, apathy and lack of desire to communicate.
- Tolerance to the drug appears due to the fact that the body includes it in metabolism, perceiving it as a natural component. The resulting tolerance to the substance is fraught with a decrease or loss of effect, which leads to an increase in the amount of meph used and the risk of overdose.
- This stage is characterized by a deterioration in well-being, the appearance of chronic depression. Alarming symptoms of exhaustion occur: significant weight loss, persistent nausea, insomnia, lack of appetite, headaches and dizziness, tremors, hair and tooth loss, swelling of the mucous membranes, a significant and permanent loss of strength. A person looks untidy and noticeably older than his age, an unpleasant odor emanates from the body.
- Drug-dependent uses mephedrone in order to live. It seems to him that without a dose he will die. The use of the drug at this stage does not give pleasant effects. Mef relieves pain and slightly improves sleep.
How to quit eating
Mental dependence on mephedrone is considered one of the strongest in drug addiction. Only a few are able to cope with it without going to a specialized institution for treatment.
Mental dependence on drugs is most difficult to treat. To increase the likelihood of tying with mephedrone, you will need:
- worthy motivation, pushing the addict to the desire to recover from addiction and helping him on this difficult and long journey;
- support from loved ones and relatives, their faith in the desire and willpower of the addict, necessary for self-healing from a dangerous disease;
- the exclusion of any contact with drug addicts, and in most cases a change of place of residence, will facilitate the process of refusing mephedrone;
- thorough detoxification;
- rebuilding the body, including treating drug-related ailments and relieving painful symptoms.
In the clinic
Treatment of mephedrone dependence in stationary conditions of a specialized medical institution significantly increases the chances of getting rid of harmful traction. The duration of drug treatment will be at least 6 months, and in many cases a year. The main stages in the fight against drug addiction in stationary conditions:
- detoxification, during which drugs are removed from the body and natural self-cleaning processes in the body are accelerated;
- rehabilitation, in which there is a restoration of skills, abilities, physical and mental health conditions lost in the process of drug use, a gradual return to a healthy, free from harmful substances lifestyle;
- social adaptation (resocialization), during which the skills of behavior in society, society are established.
The strongest mental dependence and consequences of using mephedrone lead many drug addicts to a long or life-long stay in a psychiatric hospital. Many unpleasant and dangerous symptoms significantly reduce the life of the consumer of mephedrone, destroy the body and lead to death due to overdose, suicide or pathological conditions of vital systems of the body.
Психолог, бизнес-консультант и тренер по йоге. Магистр психологии Northeastern University (Boston). В 2017 году переехал из Бостона в Санкт-Петербург. Путешественник и автор блога VrednyePrivychki 🙂