Marijuana is considered a soft drug, but with systematic use it causes mental dependence, and with regular use for 1-3 years, in some cases – physical. Long-term use of hemp leads to the appearance of various pathologies, including life-threatening ones. For many avid consumers, cannabis is becoming the “starting” drug, causing a switch to heavy and dangerous substances.
What is marijuana
Marijuana (cannabis, hemp) – a plant, certain parts of which contain psychoactive substances. Cannabis contains more than 400 chemical compounds, over 60 of which are cannabinoids. The main narcotic component of the plant is tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).
Types of cannabis:
- indian hemp (indica);
- sowing hemp (sativa);
- weed hemp.
In the latter form, the lowest content of narcotic substances.
How does the drug
The dried parts of the plant in most cases are smoked either as a one-component element of the smoking mixture, or mixed with tobacco. Adding to food or chewing is less common.
When smoking, narcotic substances quickly enter the bloodstream and instantly cause a state of drug intoxication, and when it enters the digestive system, the effect does not occur immediately, except that it is less intense, but more extended in time.
When parts of cannabis are consumed, in addition to the narcotic effect, the functioning of the systems of internal organs is affected.
The main symptoms caused by the use of hemp:
- muscle relaxation;
- rapid breathing;
- chills or fever;
- decrease in intraocular pressure;
- redness of the eye proteins;
- dry mouth;
- decrease in blood pressure;
- lack of coordination;
- dilated pupils;
- noticeable decrease in ability to concentrate;
- deterioration of short-term and random access memory;
The psychoactive effect of cannabis depends on the content of narcotic substances in the herb and on the variety. In addition, depending on the type of marijuana, sensations of inhalation of narcotic substances may also vary. Sowing hemp (sativa) has an invigorating effect due to the effect on human consciousness, Indian hemp (indica) has a greater effect on the physiological characteristics of the body, having a sedative effect. One of the most common species is Indian hemp, which is associated with a higher content of psychotropic substances in it.
The main narcotic effects of cannabis:
- change in visual, tactile, olfactory and taste sensations;
- creative impulses;
- increased activity;
- mood lift;
- increased appetite at the end of exposure.
Narcotic effects change as you get used to the drug. The first use of cannabis may not give pleasant effects.
The pleasure of smoking begins to appear after 2-3 receptions. Initially, there is a pleasant sensation throughout the body, ease of movement and body. Further, the intensity of perception of the organs of vision, hearing, smell increases, time accelerates, the assessment of the remoteness of objects is distorted. Often an euphoric state is preceded by anxiety.
Narcotic intoxication is often accompanied by mockery. With systematic administration, euphoria and talkativeness decrease, a feeling of increased intelligence arises. To a intoxicated person, his own thoughts seem wise, meaningful. People smoked with marijuana see themselves from the side, as if there are two people in them: one is talking, acting, and the other is watching him from the side.
Addictive to marijuana
With regular use of marijuana over time, a mental dependence appears, and in some cases a physical one.
With daily smoking of weed for several months, mental dependence begins to form. With the systematic use of cannabis, tolerance gradually increases, leading to an increase in dosage, frequency of intake or smoking of varieties with a high content of psychoactive substances.
With episodic, random use, mental dependence is not formed.
Physical dependence on cannabis occurs in 10 out of 100 cases with daily smoking for several years. The withdrawal syndrome is not pronounced, it is quite easily tolerated without going to narcologists, but only with proper motivation.
With rare and accidental use, physical dependence is not formed.
Symptoms of prolonged drug addiction
Long-term passion for marijuana affects the state of health, leads to personality changes.
The consequences of prolonged cannabis use:
- impaired short-term memory;
- impaired concentration of attention;
- male infertility;
- increase in blood pressure;
- decreased immunity, causing frequent infectious and colds;
- regular respiratory diseases;
Fatalities occur from diseases resulting from the regular use of marijuana.
Smoking cannabis over time leads to serious disruptions in the functioning of vital systems.
Diseases caused by marijuana use and significantly increasing the likelihood of death:
- cancerous tumors;
- early atherosclerosis;
- myocardial infarction;
- brain pathology;
- susceptibility to infectious diseases and weakening of protective functions, leading to a decrease in the effectiveness of the body’s fight against pathogenic viruses and microbes.
Weed addiction treatment
The basis for cannabis addiction treatment is:
- strong desire or worthy motivation of a dependent person;
- decreased intensity of withdrawal syndrome;
- mental rehabilitation.
In most cases, if there is a strong desire to stop taking and get rid of addiction at home – it is possible. If necessary, you should seek the help of a psychologist.
The basics of home treatment:
- the intake of large amounts of drinking water, followed by the adoption of diuretics to accelerate the withdrawal of marijuana;
- a balanced diet with a significant amount of fiber and nutrients (among the products it is worth highlighting: vegetables, herbs, berries, fruits, milk and fermented milk products, nuts);
- medicinal herbs that have properties that cleanse the body from harmful substances;
- a visit 1-3 times a week to a Russian bath or sauna to remove toxins through sweat;
- the exclusion of alcohol, coffee, fatty, fried, smoked and canned products, convenience foods, honey, a decrease in the daily intake of salt and sugar;
- reducing the severity of withdrawal symptoms by taking medications, herbs;
- treatment of diseases caused by cannabis;
- if necessary and as directed by a doctor, taking antidepressants;
- new hobbies and useful activities that arouse interest and improve mood;
- total avoidance of drug users to prevent a breakdown and return to marijuana.
With a significant experience of smoking marijuana, the appearance of serious concomitant diseases or mental disorders, severe withdrawal syndrome, getting rid of addiction is recommended in specialized clinics or centers.
The main stages of therapy in a specialized institution:
- detoxification (medication and/or hardware);
- social adaptation.
Occasional, random intake of marijuana does not cause significant harm to health and does not cause pathological cravings. Mental dependence on cannabis begins to form after a few months of daily intake, physical – after a few years. In most cases, the withdrawal syndrome is easy and tolerant for the addict, which allows you to give up a fatal habit if you have the proper desire or motivation.